Business and feelings do mix, says Andy Janning, CEO of NO NET Solutions, during a presentation at CUNA Management School in July.
Pretending they don’t isn’t an effective leadership strategy.
Some of Janning’s wisdom for navigating the two:
• Work-life balance is a myth. Your career and your life connect on a deep level.
• Be a great marketer for your colleagues. When you help others find their place, your’s will take care of itself.
• Everything starts with listening. Strive to understand, accept, be genuine, and have empathy.
• Conflict stinks, but is necessary. Effective conflict can put relationships back together.
Learn how to communicate the behavior causing the problem, the effect it is having, and the resulting feelings.
• Love your bloopers. Share them with other people.
Good leaders share where they messed up. People connect through their mistakes and their brokenness.