As climate change brings more extreme weather around the globe, it’s important for all businesses and families to prepare for the unexpected.
And with the existing Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council’s requirements and NCUA recommendations on business continuity, there is growing demand for credit unions to remain vigilant and develop a plan for backup services in case disaster strikes.
Spring weather may still seem to be around the corner for some of us, but the potential threats from Mother Nature (e.g., tornadoes, hail, and damaging winds) and small-scale isolated events (e.g., information technology and connectivity failures) are still present.
No matter how broad the threat of severe weather, all it takes is loss of power, one tornado, or direct impact from a hurricane to significantly disrupt your business and your ability to serve members.
Fortunately, there are online and mobile business continuity preparedness tools credit unions can use to help get their business and employees back up and running after a compromising event, disaster, or emergency of any kind.
Because we all use smartphones and apps these days, credit unions should take a special look at the apps specific to business continuity and disaster recovery.
To help get you started with this brief preparedness tool exploration, check out these mobile apps:
• FEMA app. It features preparedness information for different types of disasters, an interactive checklist for emergency kits, a section to plan emergency meeting locations, and information on how to stay safe and recover after a disaster.
• Red Cross apps. The Red Cross provides more than a dozen mobile apps featuring videos, interactive quizzes, and simple step-by-step advice and information on how to handle common emergency situations.
The myAgility app and the myAgility Family app. The myAgility mobile app, in conjunction with the Agility Recovery Planning Platform, provides 24/7 secure access to your recovery profile and planning elements with seamless integration with Agility’s web-based platform.
The myAgility Family mobile app is a user-friendly app to help you and your loved ones prepare for any disaster.
• Disaster Alert. Disaster Alert (by Pacific Disaster Center) is a free download providing mobile access to multi-hazard monitoring of and early warning for active hazards around the globe.
• SituationWare Evaluation. This position-sharing and situational awareness GEOINT application was developed in partnership with emergency responders and risk managers.
• xMatters Inc. xMatters (for iOS only) is another mobile command center that lets you respond to any event or critical issue.
All credit unions must plan for the essential elements of business continuity and disaster planning to continue to provide service to their members.
Having access to an online recovery planning platform as well as a mobile app companion can further help credit unions prepare for any interruption.
To further help you identify threats to your organization and where to focus your mitigation efforts, download Agility Recovery’s 12 Steps to Preparedness and the Top 10 Most Common Mistakes During a Crisis.