April is Credit Union Youth Month, and credit unions are encouraging their young members to build a bright financial future celebrating the theme “The Future is Yours… Picture it! Save for it! Share it!”
This theme encourages young members to look forward to their futures, picture their goals, and learn how to save money to chase their dreams.
Among the ways credit unions are celebrating Credit Union Youth Month:
• Redwood Credit Union, Santa Rosa, Calif., invited its Jr. Rangers (Redwood members ages 12 and under) to participate in a coloring contest that features Reddy the Redwood picturing his future: a brand-new bike.
One winner from each branch will receive $100. Jr. Ranger members who open a new Redwood savings account or deposit $100 into an existing savings account during April will receive a Reddy drawstring bag with a water bottle.
Jr. Partners (members ages 13-17) are invited to show how they picture their futures by submitting a photo, drawing, painting, or collage. One winner will receive $250. Jr. Partners who open a new Redwood savings account or deposit $100 into an existing savings account during April will receive a green notebook with a pen.
• American Heritage Credit Union hosted its Raising Money Savvy Kids event at its Philadelphia headquarters. At the event, both parents and children learned how to get kids interested in money, setting goals, and making saving a habit.The children who attended also created their own savings jars.
See more examples of credit unions sharing their experiences on social media.
American Heritage has a strong commitment to helping children in surrounding communities gain important financial literacy skills through workshops, in-branch teller interactions, and customized youth accounts.
• Telhio Credit Union in Columbus, Ohio, is celebrating Credit Union Youth Month with a special savings match program for youth accounts. Children are invited to take a photo at the credit union’s “Dream banner,” and each branch will have fun, engaging activities and giveaways that underscore the importance of saving.
Parents are also encouraged to open a youth savings account during April to prepare for their child’s future. During Credit Union Youth Month, Telhio will match youth account deposits up to $25.
• Archer Credit Union, Central City, Neb., hosted a kick-off party featuring the movie Back to the Future.
• Royal Credit Union, Eau Claire, Wis., is depositing $5 into savings accounts opened for children 12 and under during April.
NEXT: See more examples of credit unions sharing their experiences on social media.