Confirmed for CUNA GAC: NCUA board members, CFPB director, new keynoters
WASHINGTON (2/8/16)--Top credit union policymakers from the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) are confirmed to appear at this year’s Credit Union National Association (CUNA) Governmental Affairs Conference (GAC).
All three NCUA board members, as well as CFPB Director Richard Cordray, will join an impressive lineup of speakers.
NCUA Board Chair Debbie Matz is scheduled to speak the morning of Feb. 22, while Vice Chair Rick Metsger will speak the morning of Feb. 23. Board member J. Mark McWatters will speak in the afternoon on Feb. 22.
Cordray will address credit union leaders the morning of Feb. 23.
CUNA also announced Friday that political strategists Paul Begala and Mike Murphy will engage in a point-counterpoint debate on Feb. 24.
“With their impressive backgrounds and in-depth political knowledge, Paul and Mike will offer attendees contrasting yet equally informed perspectives on the 2016 elections and the issues affecting the financial industry,” said CUNA President/CEO Jim Nussle.
As one of the Democratic Party’s most prominent consultants, Begala served as senior strategist for former President Bill Clinton’s presidential campaign in 1992. During the 2012 presidential election, he was the senior adviser for Priorities USA Action, the pro-President Barack Obama super political action committee (PAC). He is also a CNN commentator, contributing to an Emmy- and Peabody Award-winning political coverage team.
Murphy is among the Republican Party’s most-accomplished media strategists, with experience on more than 26 successful campaigns. He worked on former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger’s 2003 gubernatorial election and currently leads Right to Rise, the pro-Jeb Bush super PAC. Murphy also writes a column for TIME magazine and is a political analyst for NBC News.
CUNA GAC’s lineup includes award-winning broadcast journalist Ted Koppel, innovation expert and futurist Lisa Bodell and best-selling author Daniel Pink, who will present the CUNA Councils-sponsored ED (Filene) Talk on Feb. 21.
Legislators confirmed for CUNA GAC include:
- Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.), ranking member of the Senate Banking subcommittee on national security and international trade and finance;
- Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.), member of the Senate Banking Committee;
- Rep. Ed Royce (R-Calif.), chair of the Committee on Foreign Affairs and a member of the House Financial Services Committee;
- Rep. Randy Neugebauer (R-Texas), chair of the House Financial Services subcommittee on financial institutions and consumer credit;
- Rep. Bill Huizenga (R-Mich.), chair of the House Financial Services subcommittee on monetary policy and trade;
- Rep. Steve Stivers (R-Ohio), a member of the House Financial Services Committee; and
- Rep. Denny Heck (D-Wash.), a member of the House Financial Services Committee.