19 CUs earn with nat'l savings excellence honor
Nineteen credit unions will receive the America Saves Designation of Savings Excellence, which recognizes banks and credit unions that went above and beyond to encourage people to save money during America Saves Week or Military Saves Week.
The credit unions will be recognized at the 2016 American Saves National Savings Forum Wednesday in Washington, and will receive a Designation of Savings Excellence seal for their website along with a plaque.
- Air Force FCU, San Antonio, Texas;
- Andrews FCU, Suitland, Md.;
- Arsenal CU, Arnold, Mo.;
- Belvoir FCU, Woodbridge, Va.;
- Democracy FCU, Alexandria, Va.;
- District Government Employees FCU, Washington, D.C.;
- Dover (Del.) FCU;
- Eglin FCU, Fort Walton Beach, Fla.;
- Electro Savings CU, St. Louis;
- First Central CU, Waco, Texas;
- Guadalupe CU, Santa Fe, N.M.;
- Hanscom FCU, Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass.;
- Keys FCU, Key West, Fla.;
- LUSO FCU, Ludlow, Mass.;
- Navy FCU, Vienna, Va.;
- Pacific Marine CU, Oceanside, Calif.;
- Pen Air Federal CU, Pensacola, Fla.;
- Pioneer Valley CU, Springfield, Mass.;
- R.I.A. FCU, Rock Island, Ill.
Credit unions and banks encouraged thousands to save as part of America Saves and Military Saves Week Feb. 22-27. At credit unions, 96,842 new accounts were opened; 2,713,844 people added to existing accounts, and 1,195,110 automatic savings deposits were made.
“For years, hundreds of banks and credit unions have participated in America Saves Week and Military Saves Week by encouraging individuals to save money and build wealth," said Nancy Register, America Saves director. "This designation allows us to recognize banks and credit unions that successfully encouraged individuals to save money during the week. We commend these 34 institutions and hope to award hundreds in the future."