13 CUs participate in Filene non-citizen lending program
Thirteen credit unions are participating in the Filene Research Institute non-citizen lending program that offers consumer lending products—including credit cards, personal loans, and vehicle loans—to non-citizens with the same rates as traditional consumer lending products.
Through Dec. 31, 748 loans totaling $8.9 million have been issued through the program, which began at Point West CU, Portland, Ore., in 2008.
There are 42 million immigrants in the U.S., including foreign-born citizens, refugees, lawful permanent residents, and undocumented immigrants from nearly every country in the world.
Participating credit unions include:
- Alliance Catholic CU, Southfield, Mich.;
- Cherokee County FCU, Rusk, Texas;
- El Paso (Texas) Area Teachers FCU;
- Illiana Financial CU, Calumet City, Ill.;
- Kern FCU, Bakersfield, Calif.;
- Lower East Side People's FCU, New York;
- Manatee Community FCU, Brandeton, Fla.;
- Members CU, Stamford, Conn.;
- Neighborhood Trust Federal Credit Union
- North Side Community FCU, Chicago;
- Point West CU, Portland, Ore.;
- Seattle Metropolitan CU; and
- Wakota FCU, South St. Paul, Minn.