Iowa league's Jury elected as CUNA chair
Power of CUNA/league system is 'unmatched.'
Incoming CUNA Board Chair Pat Jury pledged to spend his year as chair leading with “strength and determination” in his remarks Tuesday at CUNA Governmental Affairs Conference.
Jury, the president/CEO of the Iowa Credit Union League, said he looked forward to advancing the credit union movement over the next 12 months.
“I’ve never been more sure that the CUNA/league system is unmatched. Look no further than our standing in the eyes of lawmakers on Capitol Hill,” he said. “The combined power of one national association, state leagues, member credit unions and more than 100 million members forms an unequal network that fights aggressively and successfully in the best interests of the credit union movement.”
Jury shared his experiences meeting CUNA President/CEO Jim Nussle nearly 30 years ago back in Iowa, and said he stands ready to work to achieve true, meaningful regulatory relief for credit unions.
“My commitment to you is to do whatever I can to advance the credit union movement. Working with Jim Nussle and his team to strengthen the CUNA/league’s position as the fiercest champion for America’s credit unions,” he said. “By acting together can play a direct role in positively shaping policies and forces that affect this movement in order to allow credit unions to do what they do best: provide unrivaled service to millions.”
Jury was elected at the CUNA Board of Directors organizational meeting Monday. He succeeds Rod Staatz, president/CEO of SECU, Linthicum, Md.
Other CUNA Board officers elected Monday are:
- Vice chair: Maurice Smith, president/CEO, Local Government FCU, Raleigh, N.C.,
- Secretary: Brett Martinez, president/CEO, Redwood CU, Santa Rosa, Calif.;
- Treasurer: Troy Stang, president/CEO, Northwest Credit Union Association, Seatac, Wash.; and
- At-large member: Brad Green, president/CEO, Listerhill CU, Sheffield, Ala.
New and re-elected board members, including those elected by acclamation, include:
- Dallas Bergl, president, INOVA FCU, Elkhart, Ind.;
- Tony C. Budet, president/CEO, University FCU, Austin, Texas,
- Pat Drennen, CEO, 1st Gateway, CU, Camanche, Iowa
- Scott Earl, president/CEO, Mountain West Credit Union Association, Denver
- Charles Elliott, president/CEO, Mississippi Credit Union Association, Jackson, Miss.,
- Maria A. LaVelle, CEO, Westmoreland Community FCU, Greensburg, Pa.,
- Maurice Smith; and
- Jeff York, president/CEO of CoastHills CU, Lompoc, Calif.