CUNA Mutual Group Foundation launches holiday giving program
The CUNA Mutual Group Foundation today launched a holiday giving campaign to help credit union staff and members affected by hurricanes, floods and wildfires in the U.S. mainland and Puerto Rico this year. The Foundation will match every dollar donated to CUAid--up to $100,000--now through Dec. 31, to provide additional support for the ongoing disaster relief efforts.
This holiday matching grant will bring CUNA Mutual Group Foundation’s total 2017 gift for disaster relief efforts to more than $400,000 which includes CUNA Mutual Group employee match donations.
“The credit union movement continues to exemplify what it means to help in times of need, particularly when it comes to providing support for the people, families and communities it serves,” said Beth Cutler, leader, CUNA Mutual Group Foundation. “There are still significant needs for the affected disaster areas and the holidays can be especially hard for those displaced from their homes or businesses. We see an opportunity to once again work together with credit unions and industry supporters to do what we can to help during this season of giving.”
To date, CUAid is the only disaster relief fund dedicated to helping credit unions, their employees and members recover from major disasters. One-hundred percent of the proceeds from donations go directly to relief efforts. The organization has raised more than $2.3 million in total aid for people and families in the regions affected by Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria, as well as this year’s California wildfires.
Support has been swift and significant, but, according to the National Credit Union Foundation, the need for relief is still great in affected regions.
- Puerto Rico’s 3.5 million inhabitants continue to face hardships with impassable roads, access to power and clean drinking water and more.
- Hurricane Harvey has affected 6.9 million people with an estimated 70% of the damage not be covered by any form of insurance, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- The National Interagency Fire Center estimates that more than 8 million acres have been burned by wildfires in the U.S. this year.
How Supporters Can Help
Anyone can support ongoing disaster relief efforts for credit union staff and members through the following ways:
1. Donate through CUAid to support those across the U.S. mainland and Puerto Rico.
2. Spread the word for hurricane relief options with these social media graphics.
“Our industry always comes together in times of need; it is the people who make this movement truly about service. This is who we are and what we do as a credit union community,” said Cutler.