CU supported candidates win Tuesday in Fla., Okla.
Credit union-backed candidates saw victories in Tuesday’s elections, including primaries in Florida and a runoff election in Oklahoma. Candidates are backed by credit union leagues and the Credit Union Legislative Action Council, CUNA’s political action committee.
In Oklahoma, credit union friend and businessman Kevin Hern won the Republican primary race in the state’s 1st Congressional District. Despite finishing second in a five-way primary earlier this summer to Tim Harris, Hern took 56% of the vote Tuesday.
Hern will face Democrat Tim Gilpin in November to fill the seat left open by Rep. Jim Bridenstine (R), who now leads the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
Other credit union-friendly candidates seeing wins Tuesday in Florida include:
- 5th Congressional District: Incumbent Rep. Al Lawson (D) won the Democratic primary against former Jacksonville Mayor Alvin Brown with 60% of the vote;
- 7th Congressional District: Incumbent Rep. Stephanie Murphy (D) defeated challenger Chardo Richardson in the Democratic primary, taking 85% of the vote;
- 9th Congressional District: Incumbent Rep. Darren Soto (D) won the Democratic primary with 66% of the vote against former Rep. Alan Grayson;
- 15th Congressional District: State Rep. Ross Spano (R) won a the Republican primary against several challengers to run for the seat of retiring Rep. Dennis Ross (R). Spano took 44% of the vote; and
- 17th Congressional District: State Sen. Greg Steube (R) won 62% of the vote in the Republican primary against challenger State Rep. Julio Gonzalez. November’s election will decide who takes over for the retiring Rep. Tom Rooney (R).