House Dem. Caucus holds elections, nominates Pelosi for Speaker
The House Democratic Caucus conducted leadership elections for the 116th Congress this week, with many credit union-friendly legislators taking leadership roles. Current House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) was nominated as Speaker of the House for the 116th Congress.
“We congratulate the newly elected leaders of the House Democratic Caucus, and look forward to working with them, along with colleagues across the aisle and in the Senate,” said CUNA President/CEO Jim Nussle.
While Pelosi has been selected as the Democrats’ nominee for Speaker of the House, the full House will need to vote in January when the 116th Congress convenes. Pelosi previously served as speaker from 2007 to 2011.
Other results include:
- Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-Md.), Majority Leader;
- Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.), Majority Whip;
- Rep. Ben Ray Lujan (D-N.M.), Assistant Democratic Leader;
- Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.), Democratic Caucus chair;
- Rep. Katherine Clark (D-Mass.), Democratic Caucus vice chair;
- Rep. Cheri Bustos (D-Ill.), Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee chair.