GAC: Monday recap, Tuesday preview
Advocacy, economic updates, talent retention, and more.
The 2020 CUNA Governmental Affairs Conference got into full swing on Monday with dynamic speakers and sessions:
- CUNA President/CEO Jim Nussle addressed more than 5,000 credit union advocates during his keynote speech. Nussle particularly highlighted the important role credit unions play in empowering financial well-being for millions of Americans.
- Author and consultant Marcus Buckingham delivered a keynote address that looked at how using a free-thinking approach could be used to attract and retain talent in the workplace. "Excellence has its own pattern," Buckingham said. "Study success. It's different."
- CUNA Chief Advocacy Officer Ryan Donovan told the main hall that stories of people credit unions have helped resonate with members of Congress and staffers because they care about their communities and constituents.
- CUNA announced election results for its Board of Directors Executive Committee Members. Troy Stang, president/CEO of the Northwest Credit Union Association, was elected CUNA Board Chairman.
- A breakout session shared with attendees how credit unions can build relationships with lawmakers and tell stories of how credit unions are making an impact in their communities.
- Housing Finance Agency Director Mark Calabria and NCUA Board Member J. Mark McWatters talked about credit unions from the regulator perspective.
- Outgoing CUNA Board Chairman Brett Martinez urged credit union advocates to utilize leadership and teamwork to continue advancing credit unions, members, and communities. He also said not to underestimate the three-tiered CUNA, League, and credit union system.
- CUNA's chief economist and deputy chief advocacy officer Mike Schenk and senior economist Jordan van Rijn discussed growth, labor markets, inflation, and more during their Economic Update.
- The National Credit Union Foundation hosted the Herb Wegner Awards. Recipients of the 2020 Herb Wegner Memorial Award were John Fiore, director, Andigo CU and director emeritus, Alloya Corporate FCU in Illinois; Teresa Freeborn, president and chief executive of Xceed Financial CU in California; and Maurice R. Smith, CEO of Local Government FCU in North Carolina.
Coming up on Tuesday:
- Nussle will join former United States Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley on the main state for a fireside chat.
- Keynote speaker David Plouffe, president, policy and advocacy at the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, will engage in a question-and-answer session with CUNA Chief Advocacy Officer Ryan Donovan.
- Incoming CUNA Chairman Troy Stang will address the main stage audience.
- NCUA Chairman Rodney Hood will provide an update on the agency’s priorities for 2020.
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Director Kathy Kraninger will offer an overview of the agency’s current agenda.
- Three members of Congress will address conference attendees on Tuesday:
- U.S. Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-NC);
- U.S. Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Colo.); and
- U.S. Rep. Brad Sherman (D-Calif.).
- Chris Lorence, CUNA’s Executive Director of Credit Union Awareness, will provide an update on the Open Your Eyes to a Credit Union® campaign.
- The exhibit hall will feature more lightning rounds of the most innovative products from credit union providers.
- Breakout session topics on Tuesday include:
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- CEO networking;
- Economic update;
- Data privacy;
- Compliance; and
- Financial wellness.
►Visit CUNA News for more conference coverage and get live updates on Twitter via @CUNA_News, @cumagazine, @CUNA, and #CUNAGAC. Follow the conference on Facebook and Instagram, and visit cuna.org/gac for more information.