66 Credit Union-Backed Candidates Win Primaries
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 8, 2022
Credit unions earned 66 wins in primary races across California, Iowa, Mississippi, New Jersey, New Mexico, and South Dakota Tuesday. The Credit Union Legislative Action Council (CULAC) and state credit union leagues have backed 156 victorious credit union-friendly candidates in primary races this year, a 99% success rate.
In California, CULAC and the California Credit Union League (CCUL) supported 46 successful candidates, including:
- Democratic State Senator Sydney Kamlager in her bid to replace Democratic Rep. Karen Bass in the open 37th District race. Kamlager has a proven track record of engaging with credit unions at the state level.
- Incumbent Rep. Young Kim, a Republican who ran in the newly drawn 40th District.
- Democratic Assemblymember Adam Gray who won against Phil Arballo in the new 13th District. Gray has collaborated closely with CCUL on their priorities at the state level.
- Republican Rep. David Valadao who faced three opponents in the competitive 22nd District.
- Reps. Maxine Waters, D-43, and Juan Vargas, D-52, and Democratic Sen. Alex Padilla, who authored credit union-focused legislation.
- Most recently, Waters introduced H.R. 7003, the Expanding Financial Access for Underserved Communities Act, and shepherded the bill through the House Financial Services Committee which she chairs.
- Vargas and Padilla introduced versions of the Credit Union Board Modernization Act in their respective chambers this year.
In New Jersey, CULAC and CrossState Credit Union Association backed 9 candidates, including Democrat Rob Menendez, Jr., who won the 8th Congressional District primary to succeed retiring Rep. Albio Sires.
In South Dakota, Republican Rep. Dusty Johnson won the At-large District with support from CULAC and Dakota Credit Union Association.
Two CULAC and Mississippi Credit Union Association-supported candidates in Mississippi will face a June 28 runoff.
CULAC worked with Iowa Credit Union League, New Mexico Credit Union Association, and Dakota Credit Union Association to back 13 incumbents across their respective states.
CULAC is one of the five largest trade association PACs and among the most bipartisan PACs in the country. CULAC works with state leagues to identify, vet, and back congressional candidates who support credit unions and the CUNA-League system’s efforts to promote financial well-being for all.
Credit Union National Association (CUNA) is the only national association that advocates on behalf of all of America’s credit unions, which are owned by 130 million consumer members. CUNA, along with its network of affiliated state credit union leagues, delivers unwavering advocacy, continuous professional growth and operational confidence to protect the best interests of all credit unions. For more information about CUNA, visit cuna.org. To find your nearest credit union, visit YourMoneyFurther.com.