Credit union-backed candidates win in Maryland Tuesday
Credit union champions defended their seats against primary challengers in congressional races throughout Maryland Tuesday.
Credit Union Legislative Action Council (CULAC) and state leagues have backed 222 credit union proponents this cycle with a 98% success rate.
Credit Union Legislative Action Council (CULAC) and the Maryland & DC Credit Union Association backed the following candidates:
- Sen. Chris Van Hollen won the Democratic primary against Michelle Smith.
- Rep. Jamie Raskin, D-08, defeated Andalib Odulate and will face Republican Andrés Garcia in the general election.
- Rep. Kweisi Mfume beat three challengers in the 7th district's Democratic primary.
- House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer won in the 5th district's Democratic primary.
- Rep. Charles Albert “Dutch” Ruppersberger, D-02, defeated three challengers in the Democratic primary.
CULAC and the Leagues continue to play important roles supporting candidates in Arizona, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri and Washington for the August 2 primaries.
CULAC is one of the five largest trade association PACs and among the most bipartisan PACs in the country. CULAC works with state leagues to identify, vet, and back congressional candidates who support credit unions and the CUNA-League system’s efforts to promote financial well-being for all.