ACUM premieres HERSTORY Hall of Fame, announces exhibit expansion
America’s Credit Union Museum (ACUM) held the official unveiling of its newest exhibit “Credit Union Women Making History: Herstory” Sept. 29. ACUM has inducted a range of credit union women to the exhibit based on outstanding achievements in the credit union industry in addition to unveiling the exhibit.
Set on honoring the past, present and future of incredible women making history, “Herstory” is an interactive exhibit showcasing women’s stories never heard before.
Inducted to the Herstory exhibit were:
- Sarah Canepa Bang, senior advisor, NCUA
- Diana Dykstra, president/CEO, California and Nevada Credit Union Leagues
- Roshara Holub, president (retired), Missouri Credit Union Association
- Gigi Hyland, executive director, National Credit Union Foundation
- Lucy Ito, interim CEO, Orange County’s Credit Union
- Lois Kitsch, founder, CU Difference
- Harriet May, president/CEO (retired), GECU
- Maria Martinez, president/CEO, Border Federal Credit Union
- Susan Mitchell, president/CEO, Mitchell Stankovic & Associates
- Lily Newfarmer, president/CEO, Tarrant County’s Credit Union
- Renee Sattiewhite, president/CEO, African-American Credit Union Coalition
- Carol Schillios, founder, Schillios Consulting
- Denise Wymore, field marketing manager, Zest AI
In addition, ACUM recognized a number of inductees posthumously, including Agnes Gartland, Elizabeth “Sis” Hamilton, Louise Herring, Dora Maxwell, Angela Melville, Rose Nevener, and Miriam Rivera Lieb. These women had plaques granted to family members and representatives present at the event.
“Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would get to this point,” Inductee Maria Martinez says. “I never saw this career as a destination, I saw it as a journey. I came here as an immigrant, and this is the American Dream to me.”
Inductee Gigi Highland said, “Love runs through my “herstory”, because I too, came from thinking I wanted to be the traditional credit union attorney…and I fell in love with credit unions; I fell in love with the people, I fell in love with mission, and with everything credit unions are about.”
ACUM Board Chair, Nathan Saller, noted that the exhibit was “years in the making,” and mentioned that “We’re just scratching the surface on telling the stories of these wonderful women. We're excited to celebrate them and to begin sharing their stories.” ACUM extends their sincere appreciation to their exhibit lead sponsors: Co-operative Credit Union Association (CCUA), PSCU, and Illinois Credit Union League/Envisant.
Stephanie Smith, ACUM Executive Director, announced that there were over 130 nominations for this year’s induction and the museum board has committed to expanding the Herstory exhibit.
ACUM intends to continue inducting inspiring women in the credit union world as part of an annual endeavor to enhance and expand the current exhibit. While nominations are currently open for the 2023 inductions, the active period will be February to June, with nominations closing on June 15, 2023.
To nominate a woman for the exhibit, or for more information, visit acumuseum.org/herstory.