ICYMI: CUNA Lending Council Conference highlights
Lenders gather to share ideas amid evolving economic backdrop.
San Diego was the setting for in-depth lending conversations from Nov. 2-5. The 2022 CUNA Lending Council Conference brought credit union lenders together to dig into relevant opportunities, challenges, and topics amid an uncertain financial backdrop.
Some highlights from the event:
- Technology Forecaster Daniel Burrus kicked off the event discussing how to predict the future and be right.
- The Onion Founder Scott Dikkers’ three tips for people pursuing their goals: find a mission, seize opportunities, and remember to laugh.
- NASA’s Dr. Moogega Cooper learned four lessons from the Mars Perseverance rover mission: maintain a childlike curiosity, rules are meant to be questioned, trust your team, and have a common goal.
- Barry Sloane, CEO at Newtek Business Services Corp., believes the timing is right for credit union lenders to make small business lending part of their repertoire.
- The CLO Exchange sparked conversations about payday alternative loan products, small business lending, ITIN lending, emergency/short-term loans, and turning debit card purchases into short-term loans.
- The turbulent economy makes it “one of the most exciting times to be in auto lending,” says Caribou Chief Lending Officer Jason Tepperman says it’s “one of the most exciting times to be in auto lending.”
- DePaul University Associate Professor Lamont Black suggests credit unions examine the blockchain’s lending applications.
- America First Federal Credit Union’s Kymrie Turner and LSI’s Rob Macari showed attendees how tweaks to their technology and processes can lead to big lending changes.