WYCUP Awards Eight 2023 Scholarships
Eight young credit union professionals from four different continents each received a World Young Credit Union Professionals’ (WYCUP) Scholarship Thursday that includes an all-expense paid trip to credit union events in either Brazil or Canada.
“It’s exciting to see the WYCUP network expand around the world and provide new opportunities for these scholars to engage internationally,” said Thom Belekevich, WYCUP director. “With nearly 80 nominees from six continents, it was a challenge selecting among so many deserving candidates. Our efforts at WYCUP in the coming year will rely heavily upon these eight inspiring, emerging leaders to help grow the network and expand opportunities for other young professionals.”
The 2023 WYCUP Scholarships were presented to:
- Darren Leal (Belize).
- Ntchoudy Achille (Cameroon).
- Amanda Wantke (Canada).
- Katrina D'Aguilar (Jamaica).
- Cooper Larson (USA).
- Ariane Zen (Brazil).
- Tony Tony (Indonesia).
- Patrick Rico (Philippines).
For the first time in 2023, WYCUP offered scholars a choice of attending world-class credit union events in one of two locations:
- The Sicredi Super Summit, April 17-18, in Iguazu, Brazil. This summit is the most recent addition to one of the world’s leading empowerment initiatives for women and youth in financial cooperatives—the Sicredi Youth Committee program. The program reinforces the sustainability of the cooperative business model by bringing together young adult credit union members through professional development, financial and cooperative education, entrepreneurship and community development activities. The Super Summit is designed to encourage attendees to become advocates for the cooperative model and actively engage in their local communities.
- The WYCUP Global Emerging Leaders' Summit and the 2023 World Credit Union Conference, July 21-27, in Vancouver, Canada. WYCUP is anticipating the largest gathering ever of young credit union professionals at this inaugural summit to be held the day prior to WCUC 2023. The summit will explore global perspectives on shared challenges, highlight social entrepreneurship and examine opportunities for young people to support sustainable, resilient communities through credit unions.
Five of the 2023 WYCUP Scholars will travel to Brazil, while three will head to Vancouver.
The WYCUP Scholarship program is open to nominees who are 40 years of age or younger, have made significant contributions to their credit union or financial cooperative system and have the potential to make a global credit union impact. The WYCUP program has awarded more than 100 scholarships since 2001.